Float Package: START HERE!

This category is all about the Float Package made by @NicoAleman and @surfdado. Here you will find the latest releases and information. Feel free to ask any questions or make feature requests.

Note: If you have any Issues with the Float Package, please post it in #troubleshooting-general. Because often times issues are connected to compatibility issues or can be hardware related, your issue will be resolved faster that way.

What is the Float Package?

The VESC App has a a built-in repository to download “Packages” for specific use cases. Hence, the Float Package was created by @NicoAleman in order to enable quick and easy configuration and tuning for VESC based “one wheeled skateboards”. That way specific variables were created that are unique to this use case.

Highlights of Float Package:

• Easy configuration for any kind of battery setup
  • (Since v1.0) Download Tune Cards from seasoned riders directly from the VESC App!
  • Quick Save feature tor up to 6 Tune Cards
  • Surge Feature
  • Remote Tilt Control
  • Softstart
  • Support for Float Control App

Latest version of Float Package

You can find the changelog here:

How to Install Float Package from scratch

If you are setting up a new board or you simply want so re-install everything from zero, this is the right tutorial. If you want to update the Float Package, make sure to scroll down to next headline.

Required:

• Board with VESC based controller
  • Latest VESC App for iOS/Android
  • Latest VESC Firmware installed on the controller
  • :warning: Configuration of MOTOR AND IMU must be completed at this point!!!

Part 1 - Install Float Package:

1. Connect VESC App to your board
  2. At the top bar scroll all the way to the last tab “Packages”
  3. Hit the Info button first and read the all the notes, before proceeding
  4. Hit the Install button and wait for the “Install Done!..” message. Click “OK”.
    • If you get stuck in the “Processing…” step, then [tbc]
  5. Go to tab “Start” and hit the Disconnect Button.
  6. Then hit Connect again.

Part 2 - Configure Float Package:

Now you need to make crucial configurations for your battery and footpads. If you have the stock OW+ or XR battery, then the settings are already set up the right way for you. If you have a different battery setup, you need to set the values yourself.

Go to tab Float Cfg, then go to “Specs” in the Dropdown menu. Now you need to setup following values which depend on your battery and footpad setup.

:information_source: Make sure to hit the Write button after entering all the values and wait for the confirmation from the app that the Write was successful.

Voltage Tiltbacks

High/Low Voltage Threshold

Here it depends on your battery setup and also your preferences whether you want your battery to last a bit longer in exchange for less range. But below you will find recommended values from us.

Battery High Voltage Threshold Low Voltage Threshold
15sXp 64.5V 45V
16sXp 68.5V 48V
18sXp 77V 54V
19sXp 81.5V 57V
20sXp 85.5V 60V

What do all the settings do?

Cheat Sheet

Where to find the Source Code?

Official sources are on Vedder’s github:

If you want to see unpublished source code you can follow Nico’s or Dado’s github repos:

2 Likes

Is ATR somehow related to the battery voltage?

I recently upgraded from a 63V battery to 80V

Since Float Package 1.0 i have used 1.2 for uphill and 1.3 for downhill (i think that’s close to equivalent to the pre-1.0 default values :man_shrugging:t3:)
After my battery upgrade, i have turned those values up to 1.4 and 1.5 to achieve around the same response from my board

LFOCer 3.1
SuperFlux
2p19s
Float Package 1.1

I am currently facing an issue with the Vesc Tool. Specifically, I am experiencing difficulties with the compatibility between the Flipsky 75100 VESC and the MPU6050 IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit). Despite trying various troubleshooting methods over the course of a year, I suspect that the issue lies within the software.

Issue Details:

Hardware Configuration: I am using the Flipsky 75100 VESC along with the MPU6050 IMU.
Previous Working Setup: Initially, I successfully configured the VESC for my DIY Funwheel project, and everything functioned correctly.
Current Problematic Setup: However, after updating to the latest version of the Vesc Tool and configuring the VESC app to use UART communication, I encountered an issue. Whenever I power cycle the board, the MPU6050 IMU is no longer detected.
Intermittent Solution: I have found that temporarily changing the loop frequency and then reverting it back can restore the IMU connection temporarily. Unfortunately, this workaround fails to persist after power cycling the board.
Troubleshooting Attempts: To address this issue, I have attempted the following steps:
Experimented with multiple IMUs from different manufacturers.
Tested with various VESC units (at least three different ones).
Verified the connection and wiring between the VESC and the MPU6050 IMU.
Reverted to the Balance app, where the IMU functions correctly without encountering power cycling issues.
Software Version: I am currently using the latest version of the Vesc Tool.
Expected Solution:
I am seeking your assistance in resolving this issue promptly. It is crucial for me to leverage the latest features offered by the Vesc Tool, particularly with the Float Package. Your guidance and support would be immensely appreciated.

If you require any specific logs, screenshots, or additional information to aid in diagnosing the problem, please let me know, and I will gladly provide them.

App Cfg APP to Use > No App (if you use Flipsky esc)
And remember Enable Permanen UART

Thanks , I already tried that but then I found the flipsky YouTube video. They use the no hardware limit firmware. When I tried this everything worked…

Very nice I using Flipsky 75100 and 75200 escs and newest firmware 6.02 works well!

Yes me too, I’m so happy because it took over a year .

Can you post an XML of the settings you use with the FSESC 75100 and MPU6050? I’m trying to tune mine.

I use this video, it’s great. Change P term to 25 and imu Kp to 1.8.

2 Likes

Wondering why I keep losing my selected tuning. I have Nico’s Street Growler save in Quick Save 2, and select that at teh start of the ride, but it seems to forget this every couple of minutes. Maybe it’s related to the iPhone switching to screen saver? How can I make a tune permanent (until I select a new one that is)?

Are you selecting through VESC Tool? When you overwrite your current tune with one from a quicksave or tune from the tune archive, it does just that, overwrites. There’s no feasible way it could switch back, unless the tune wasn’t being written in the first place. I would make sure the tune is saved properly and verify that the values are being updated in Float CFG when you load a tune. For example, you could check that the Street Growler tune is setting the Rate P Brake Scaling (Float CFG → Tune) to 0.1, assuming your using the latest version of that tune.

If you’re using a different app like Float Control or Floaty, I can’t speak to those, but I know at least Float Control has them as temporary tunes until you select to actually write them to the VESC.

Is there a guide to help folks that might be new to VESC as far as testing tune cards correctly and not adding someone’s tune card on top of a user’s configuration?

1 Like

This should probably be its own post in #troubleshooting-general for future reference, but this is a hardware issue (not an issue with Float Package), and likely on the controller side. Not sure what controller you have, but most either have built-in pull down resistors that should bring that voltage up to 3V, or some don’t have this and need to be added manually. But most commonly used controllers for Onewheel builds (including LFOC) have this built in. So could be some defect with the controller, hard to say.

If the value is consistent for the engaged and disengaged voltages, you could get by in the meantime by just setting your ADC Thresholds accordingly, so around 1.5V, maybe with Disable Moving Faults enabled under Float CFG → Stop to ensure it can’t disengage at speed (read the help text of that feature to understand what it does). But I would still try to get the hardware issue sorted out one way or another.

1 Like

After upgrading to Float package 2.0 is asking me to adjust the High Voltage Tiltback (from 3.2 to 4.3 v/cell) and the Low Voltage Tiltback (from 2.2 to 3.0 v/cell) stating both were too low. How do I adjust, vesc tool app or float control app? Nevermind, just follow instructions as above. Go to Float config on vesc tool app go to specs and adjust Voltage threshold. Float control app advices adjustment as detailed v/cell but when entering values is total as stated above.

Don’t know if it is just me being dumb, but I don’t get how to correctly do a upgrade of the float package.
The release notes say
“MAJOR RELEASE - Backup/Restore is MANDATORY when upgrading from a previous float package”
and then in this thread it says
“If you want to update the Float Package, make sure to scroll down to next headline.”
But there is no following headline for upgrading, it’s just for installing?

I currently have 1.2 installed and want to upgrade to 2.0. What is the proper way to do this?

Its installed inside of Vesc Tool under VESC Packages Tab → Package Store (Float)

This was solved by the way. The trick was ipdating the VESC with the “No Hardware Limits” firmware. Then everything worked out.