Zero to usable VESC step by step (software only)

You have your hardware setup and now you need to configure your software so you can ride, right? Here’s your step by step guide:

1) Motor config:
Do this first until 9:57 in the video

2) Next setup your IMU
While there are video guides out there, none are up-to-date and they each contain at least some issues. For now, follow this written guide carefully:

This is an example video walkthrough of the IMU setup that includes the accelerometer. This video should not be used standalone. It’s a companion to the article above.

3) Float Package install:
Next, go back to the first video at the timestamp below and do everything there until about 18:09. Everything after that is IMU config which should have been done in step 2 above.

5) Validate your board works correctly:
Next, turn off all the tune modifiers so you have a baseline: Set to 0
Tune

• Start Angle: 0
  • Current Boost (0): 0
    Tune Modifiers:
  • Constant Tiltback (0): 0
  • Variable Tailback Rate (0.10/1000 ERPM) : 0
  • Nose Angling Speed (5.0/s): 0
  • Torque Tailback → Strength: (0): 0
  • Turn Tiltback Strength (1): 0
  • Turn Tiltback Speed Boost (200): 0

Now do a quick bench test:

Now, ride your onewheel a bit. Keep vesc tool open in “AppUI” and watch the set points. Make sure your board is level, or raised/lowered however you like it. Use the IMU config to raise/lower your nose so it’s where you like it as a “base”.

** Troubleshooting **
Here are some links to some common issues:
Motor crunching
Weird noises
Board shoots off in the wrong direction

If things don’t feel right, start from step 1 and do it again (disable the Float Package before you re-run Motor and IMU configs!!). Make backups if you really want to. Make sure you’re following and doing ALL the things in the video’s above.

6) Customize your ride:
Now you’re ready to create custom tunes if you want to. Or you can import other people’s tunes from within the Float package.

IF you’re creating your own tune, read all the help sections for all the tunes. For me, that just confused me more (I’m slow). I found the below videos from Vescman and they helped more than anything else:
How to customize your VESC shape (part 1) - YouTube (part 1)
How to customize your VESC shape (part 2) - YouTube (part 2)

Be aware: those videos are for the Balance package which has been deprecated in favor of the Float package. Not all of the settings have a 1:1 mapping, but the explanations he gives helps a lot.

Things to always keep in mind: ride your board with Vesc tool open in the AppUI and watch your set points (iPhone users can use the Float Control app also). They’ll help guide you as to what might be right/wrong and where to go from there. Use that info to ask for help.

5 Likes

This is an excellent summary, thank you!

1 Like