Refloat Separate KP Feedback

I’d like to specifically get feedback on the Separate KP feature of Refloat. Is it meh? Is it great for you? What do you feel it improves for you?

On my Growler it has improved the low-speed agility a ton for me. To me it’s especially noticeable on switch, where I had the nose dipping way too much when turning. With low Roll KP (I’ve got it at 1.0), the board is much snappier on switch, but I feel it’s also much better nose-forward.

It doesn’t solve the nose dipping in higher speed turning for me, but I feel it does improve it in a noticeable way.

FWIW, I’ve written the descriptions in the Refloat package way back when I was implementing the feature (it had a nasty bug that took me ages to fix). Now I believe the descriptions are at least partially misguided, but I am not certain how to describe it better at this point, so I just left them in their original form…

I have to put more mileage to confirm, but overall the board seems to ride more level than the Float package, but a little bit choppy over really slow speed bumps and ripples.
I using a Raiden 7,15s and Superflux as a test board. It could all be placeabo effect until i can ride back to back.
Also can’t connect with Floaty and doesn’t play nice with Float control, could be my bt, but works on Vesc tool

1 Like

@BGcustoms you don’t need to switch back and forth between Float and Refloat, you can just set the Roll KP and Yaw KP to the same values. I mean - there’s a potential for Refloat to just behave differently, but I think it should ride just the same if you equalize the KPs.

You can also mess with the Roll/Yaw KP numbers, bring them closer or further from Pitch KP and see how that changes things for you.

But, in general, I would agree with your observations. I’ve had one or two occasions where I felt slight nosedips over choppy cobblestones, wasn’t sure at the time what could be the cause, it may be the Separate KPs. Otherwise, I also in general feel the board is more stable.

Thanks for the feedback!

I’ll try roll and yaw kp with the same values. Thanks

1 Like

Are there some good values to start out with or possibly a range of values? I’d like to test out this new split KP thing but I also don’t want to set bad values and hurt myself.

1 Like

Recommended values are in the options descriptions :disappointed:

It’s highly unlikely you’ll hurt yourself, but you can start slow with whichever value you set and feel it out.

The values for Roll KP are 0.8 - 1.8 (I never tried to go higher than Pitch KP). I use 1.0 atm.

For Yaw KP I’m still not sure it does anything noticeable, you can leave it or experiment if it changes something for you. In the option description I recommend setting the middle value between Pitch and Roll KP because it’ll supposedly skew the mathematical model the least, but I have a very superficial understanding of it so take this with a grain of salt :sweat_smile: But I’ve never managed to configure so it would do anything too wild and/or dangerous.

Does this work yet with FloatControl tune cards? I suppose all the existing tune cards need some adjusting for the Mahony values?

It works with Float tune cards (they are not specific to Float Control, or I don’t know about any Float-Control-only tune cards). The way it works is it takes the Mahony KP from them and uses it for Pitch KP, the Roll KP and Yaw KP will stay unchanged at whatever values you have for them.

1 Like

I recently installed the refloat package and so far i like it a lot.
Especially when cornering, to be able to adjust the nose lifting seperate!
The only thing im having difficulties with is the breaking.
somehow i cannot stiffen up the braking, even when setting the brake skaling and brake p at max it stil seems soft. its doing something but not enough. Is there the possibility to remove the limit of them?
I also tried the general settings and adjust Torque Tilt but it das not seem to have propper effect.

The only thing im having difficulties with is the breaking.
somehow i cannot stiffen up the braking, even when setting the brake skaling and brake p at max it stil seems soft. its doing something but not enough.

That’s weird, it should work the same as in Float. Are you sure it’s working better for you in Float than in Refloat? What if you set the Refloat KPs all to the same value (meaning it should be have just like Float)? Also, check your gyro calibration, it can do weird things if not properly calibrated that could be related.

Is there the possibility to remove the limit of them?

I’m not sure what were the reasons for these limits. I guess it’d need to be tested. I’m sure settings these too high will have unwanted side-effects.

I also tried the general settings and adjust Torque Tilt but it das not seem to have propper effect.

Do you mean the options didn’t function properly (implicating a separate bug) or just didn’t help you fix the braking?

I’ll do some testing next time I go for a ride.

I had the same problems when using the “normal” float package.
Somohow im not getting the full braking potential.
Im wondering if there is some limets been set somewhere, accelaration is not an problem it looks like.

The functions are working but they dont really make a difference when trying to get my braking stiffer.

I think that’s more of an issue of how the Mahony KP (and hence the whole balancing) works. You simply don’t get 2x braking strength by doubling Angle P. But I only really have vague understanding of how it actually works and don’t know how to explain it. What’s your Pitch KP for that matter?

I was, though, also really trying to get better brakes when I started riding VESC. Somehow, over time, it stopped to be an issue and I don’t really know if I just got used to it or, as I developed my tune, it somehow started braking better. You may try to mess with Angle I.

1 Like

Alright, would love to be able to tune it a bit more.

At the moment its on 1.95 i think my Pitch KP.

I think i already tried ot mess with Angle I, but maybe not enought.