Possible nosedive prevention with additional sensor

I have a theory that Id like to bounce off the community and see if something like this would be feasible or worth the effort.

Since one can adjust the angle of startup to whatever degree they choose, that would give someone more of a chance of being able to stomp out of a nosedive if their nose dropped but they were able to pull it back quickly. But in order to have that nosedive effect take place in any situation where it was sorely needed, the angle would have to be extreme enough where then mounting the board would become awkward.

My theory is that if a large area sensor could be placed under the back pad and run in parallel with the front, but an adjustment to the firmware would be necessary, as the angle of startup for the rear sensor would be in the negative values so it would only activate in that nose diving situation.

So to clarify, your front 2 sensor zones would operate as normal, but if u overpower the motor enough for a nosedive, the back “stomp plate” would give the rider a fighting chance to remain upright, since it only activates in thr negative degrees.

Any ideas or pointers?

1 Like

Your use case is about the motor being overpowered - but if the motor is overpowered the motor is overpowered - where would the power for saving you from a nose dive come from?

I also have no idea what the back sensor would be doing? What is it sensing?? And what is supposed to happen when it “activates”. Also how does it activate?

1 Like

So ive witnessed and done this before, that when i do overpower the motor, i have been able to just barely save myself from that nosedive, if i stomp on the back pad quickly enough the board will re engage. There is no extra power in the motor, but if you do overpower the motor, ur best chances right now are to quickly stomp on the back pad, roll, or run it out.

Im guessing that since the motor got overpowered and disengaged, that at that point, ur no longer at or past the 100 DC that caused u to nosedive, so if another sensor in the rear that is programmed NOT to activate around 0 or 3 degrees, but instead would be programmed to only activate at a certain high speed ERPM and between a certain negative set of degrees like -3 to -20, if the motor disengages. This would require changes to the firmware to do this since theres no spot to put a secondary “startup angle” which is essentially what it would be. It would just be a high speed startup angle that is only supposed to activate in these high speed nosedive situations.

So the ideal implementation,

You have a board that has this setup, 2 zone sensor in front, large area sensor in back. It starts up at your normal angle of startup, since youre not above that programmed high speed ERPM that would cause the back sensor to have any effect. You start zipping along and ur trying to get a good time or something and you push too hard. Once the motor disengages, ur no longer past 100%dc and if you could get ur board slightly more level, it would prob re activate, but since ur going so fast, its a bit hard. The back sensor would remain activated and is programmed to stay activated above 18mph or something similar, but will only re engage the board in these negative angles. So there would need to be a startup angle and the high speed startup angle. Also a third adc.

1 Like

I think I understand.
But with VESC what you’re proposing is unnecessary. The board never disengages when overpowered in the first place. When you overpower the motor the controller keeps putting out the max amps, so if you’re skilled enough you can still save it

4 Likes

Ok, that lines up with my experience with the nosedives that ive had so far with vesc and makes sense. I appreciate ur advice here.

Itd be really cool to make something like this as a product for fm boards if it was possible. Dont think it is tho…

This is not the case of you misstep in the beginning and choose a V1 motor. Cutoffs ALL DAY.

OPs cool ideas even if they are not super practical.