Mission Emulation on ATR (Float)

Dado mentioned this may be a good place to start a discussion about getting a closer emulation of Mission with ATR. Right now I’m running a variation of VESC.mann’s Standard tune card which he describes as an improved Mission mode.

It feels really nice, but some of the things I’ve noticed is turning doesn’t feel quite as good in my subjective opinion. Does anyone have any pointers on getting closer to the Mission feeling?

From JD’s last comment:
So I have the board feeling pretty close to Mission. It’s funny how much I didn’t need to change to get it there from where I started. Carving is a bit harder to dial in because of the different tire profiles.

Angle P: 24
Rate P: .6 – Increasing this has that piston feeling in the board. There is some slight noise when turning but it’s acceptable to me.
Angle I: .005
Mahoney KP: 1.7 – This was probably the biggest thing that needed to change from vesc.mann’s settings. 2.0 feels good, so I’d say this was a sneaky setting.

Variable Tilt: .3 / 1000 ERPM – I have no idea if Mission does this, but this seemed to help with my back leg fatigue.

Turn Tilt Strength: 0 – Again hard to say with the different tire profiles, but this feels pretty close.

Brake Tilt Strength: 6
Brake Tilt Lingering: 1

Originally I thought Angle I was the secret to this behavior, but this works better without introducing new variables.

Amps Ratios: 8 / 8

2 Likes

my advice is to get a lot more specific in your description of the shortcomings / differences. “Not as good” doesn’t even help us understand what your issue is, let alone suggesting solutions - especially because I’m pretty sure that the majority of riders keep saying how turning is so much better on VESC

1 Like

Copy that, I’ll bust out my FM board and do some drag racing tonight to figure out more specific differences.

Ok, I put my stock footpads back on my boards to try and remove some of the variables that change the feeling of the ride. Unfortunately, my FM XR has an enduro, and my VESC has a skinnier Hoosier.

The thing about Mission that I really like is this feeling where you’re pushing down on two pistons on either side of the board. The harder you push the more resistance builds. If you transfer your weight to the other side of the board quickly it feels like your midpoint is slightly delayed. That gives me this feeling that I can push down even harder on the side you just released.

When I started experimenting with Rate P that was quickly giving me that feeling of resistance I’m looking for. Angle I seems to help with that delayed midpoint feeling I mentioned.

Something I haven’t figured out yet is I noticed something about my settings on the VESC make my back leg get tired faster. For some reason, the FM doesn’t do this. I’m going to experiment with changing the constant ride angle and see if that helps with my leg.

I see in the notes that higher Rate P values can introduce negative side effects. Any idea what those are?

I felt like I was getting super close, but I didn’t realize my battery was getting low. I had some low-voltage tilt-back kicking in and throwing off the ride feeling.

2 Likes

Rate P is definitely a HUGE part of the behavior youre looking for, and has been the key for me for a more Mission like feel. I really feel 0.6-0.8 is the sweet spot, and going farther takes away some board angle control. But if youd like to try, feel free!

The negative side effects mentioned are noticeable immediately upon mounting, in the form of random motor vibrations and sounds. It’s not too dangerous to test, and not anything that would seem fine at first but crop up randomly while riding and throw you down or anything like that (AFAIK). 1.2 is kinda the limit for me where the negative side effects are a bit too overbearing, but YMMV.

I also highly suggest checking out brake tilt under the ATR tab. The Strength will raise the nose as you coast on the brakes, allowing you to get the nose up without losing too much momentum like Mission. But more inportantly for you, theres also a Lingering value, that maintains this nose up setpoint for a bit as you push forward again, which also emulates the sensation youre describing. Definitely experiment with this, and keep an eye on the Brake Tilt setpoint under the AppUI tab to see exactly whats going on so you know its not placebo haha.

4 Likes

You still haven’t updated your post. Your recent comment goes off in an entirely different direction. Please update your post (instead of commenting, you are the author) to make it as useful as possible. I still have no clue what it is you don’t like about turning.

So I have the board feeling pretty close to Mission. It’s funny how much I didn’t need to change to get it there from where I started. Carving is a bit harder to dial in because of the different tire profiles.

Angle P: 24
Rate P: .6 – Increasing this has that piston feeling in the board. There is some slight noise when turning but it’s acceptable to me.
Angle I: .005
Mahoney KP: 1.7 – This was probably the biggest thing that needed to change from vesc.mann’s settings. 2.0 feels good, so I’d say this was a sneaky setting.

Variable Tilt: .3 / 1000 ERPM – I have no idea if Mission does this, but this seemed to help with my back leg fatigue.

Turn Tilt Strength: 0 – Again hard to say with the different tire profiles, but this feels pretty close.

Brake Tilt Strength: 6
Brake Tilt Lingering: 1

Originally I thought Angle I was the secret to this behavior, but this works better without introducing new variables.

Amps Ratios: 8 / 8

I had ATR turned off for testing and with these settings, the board climbs hills similar to how Mission climbs albeit with more available torque.

Nice! Now we’re getting somewhere :slight_smile:

Variable Tilt:you forgot to mention that maximum angle, without that you’d be seriously nose up at high speeds as 0.3 is really strong…

I will give this a try (without the variable tiltback)

1 Like

This was really great info, cant wait to adjust it tonight!!