Madd Max 84V trail beast Tune Card

Yeah I don’t mind the softness. Have defintely gotten used to it. On the ATR though I felt that the nose would float (didn’t say drop as it wasn’t sudden) down and start to raise back up after the initial acceleration.

What I noticed was firmware 5.3.002 or 5.3.004 didn’t have this issue but ATR did. Probably a settings difference I had between the two. Will investigate and report back.

Oh crap - now I know what you’re talking about!

Sorry, I don’t ride very much these days but I now realize that the current ATR firmware is lacking a feature that I used to have in earlier versions (before jumping on the vescmann train)

Let me sum up the behavior, to make sure we’re talking about the same thing:
While pushing up a hill and maintaining speed or accelerating ATR works pretty well and the behavior feels good (if we ignore bumpy terrain issues).
BUT, when easing off the gas pedal, the nose has a tendency to rise above what the rider would consider as “level”.

I think we can all agree that ATR should help with uphills and high-resistance terrain like grass, dirt, mud - but it should never lead to actual “captain morgan”, right?

Hopefully this makes sense.

Funny you mentioned that @surfdado . I never really tried to ease off when going up hill but when I was trying to do bonks over a tree root on flat ground, it would sometimes “captain morgan” on landing. It felt like it completely disengaged cause I would try to put pressure on the front pad and ‘get back up’ but it sometimes would not engage.

What I was talking about with the nose floating down was only on acceleration. I will get a video of it to show as I tried to adjust all the settings yesterday to fix it but it did not really help.

Why do you think that the lack of that feature is helping out with overall nose stability but makes it softer/dip for some? Seems Nico is having nose lifting issues but Tiztrain is getting nose softening.

2 Likes

Video to show 3 examples.

The first couple don’t look too bad but they feel like I can just keep pushing into it for the nose to touch the ground. Pushed a little harder and the nose touches.

I’m running P30 there too.

https://imgur.com/a/8CsCoL1

Wow, totally different issue haha. The nosedip on acceleration on #3 is intense! I’ve never had that, even with P=20
So you’re saying with V4 you haven’t had this issue? This is ATR specific?

Wow, super interesting, I haven’t really had this issue specifically with Max’s tune, certainly not on smooth ground. I even spent like 30 minutes doing drag race starts like this while testing things and never had this occur.

Were you using equivalent tunings when comparing with other firmware versions? Maybe it could be Booster related? Whenever I have unpredictable behavior like this, it’s tended to be related to Boosters in some way, but that’s just a wild guess. And also, does it still occur if you’re on the ATR firmware but bring ATR strength parameters to 0?

Yep @surfdado ATR specific. On 5.3.004 I don’t have this issue. Thought it must be settings related. Compared the difference below to them.

@NicoAleman tried a bunch of booster settings (went up to 40) but it does not feel any different for my board. Also tried changing the ATR settings (filters & torque tiltback) to 0 didnt help.

I am going to go back to stable 004 and take a video to make sure I’m not going crazy. Ha.

1 Like

Changed back to 5.3.004 a took the video below. Hardly dips

https://imgur.com/a/qOvspX3

There’s a typo in the card!

In the Turn Tilt set the Speed Boost to 200%

Good to know. But I’m sure everyone uploaded the XML files which is correct. It’s good to double check.

got my vesc back together today and excited to try ATR and @surfdado fw! @MaddMax and @NicoAleman, i know you are both running 84V, do you think I can achieve similar performance (obviously slightly less torque/top speed) on a stock battery pack? I don’t need to go 31 atm :slight_smile: and would be fine with XR performance levels for now. If I can have fun on the trail comfortably up to low 20s and get to know the feel of the shaping, I would love to do that. And hopefully I can help refine things as I get used to it. Then can upgrade to 84V later, probably in the spring. I don’t have time to train on both for racing right now so will not be using this for racing for the time being.
Does anyone have an xml or tune card optimized for trail riding on a standard 15s pack?

These tunes are not voltage dependent. I suggest you try any tune you want to try, just make sure you have your normal voltage tiltbacks/cutoffs set

1 Like

Great news: Motor crunching on hard, abrupt braking now resolved!! Per @surfdado 's suggestion of upping motor resistance to 100-110 (Motor FOC General), motor crunching completely eliminated :smile:

This is my perfect tune, I haven’t made any other major adjustments since August. Now to make it even better, just waiting for further development on better flow at racing speeds for bumpy bmx pump track. Kp 2.4+ is a good workaround for now, but too unstable on flat.

1 Like

Just to clarify, this is still on old ATR firmware that utilizes D instead of Angular Rate P (Yaw P), correct? Not sure if this version of ATR is even available to download anywhere, or maybe setting Yaw P to 0 allows you to still use D as normal? @surfdado?

Nah, old ATR versions aren’t available - and D is no longer available either. It’s being ignored entirely in ATRv18, so using Angular Rate P is your only option for dampening, i.e. setting Yaw P

I recommend a value of 0.6

2 Likes

This definitely explains why I largely thought ATR rode wack while riding Max’s tune on newer ATR for a few weeks :rofl: There should probably be some kind of disclaimer or update given this tune card essentially cant be used properly in its current state. Either way, excited to give ATR a proper shot now knowing this haha

1 Like

So people can still try my same tune by using ATRv18 and setting Yaw P to 0.6? @surfdado

@NicoAleman ahh that explains why you weren’t too thrilled on my settings. I mean you may still not be, but let me know your proper assessment!

Yes, this is correct - Replace D with the equivalent YawP and you’re good

2 Likes