How to load new firmware

High Level Steps

1. Backup
  2. Load Firmware
  3. Load the Float Package
  4. Restore

Do it from the PC, not from the phone if at all possible. This way you can save/load XML files in addition to doing the backup/restore thing.

CAREFUL: If you use a custom file you have to make sure you pick a file matching your exact hardware version. LFOCv3 requires LFOCv3 firmware, not LFOC firmware!

Which firmware file to pick

Since 6.0 the built-in file works just fine - in that case you don’t need to worry about which VESC you have!

If you need a custom file you need to know what VESC you have, if you’re not sure, the firmware tab in your phone/desktop app will tell you what firmware you’re on, like this:

Now in the ZIP file you look for a file in a folder with the same name as your firmware name, and then it’ll be VESC_Default.bin - or more recently the filename will match your VESC name!

Make sure you pick the .bin file and not just the folder it’s in!

How to tell whether the firmware download worked?

After reconnecting check the firmware version, it should match the new version you loaded.

What if it the firmware just never changes? You may need a new bootloader

If you don't get the new firmware despite a "successful" download then you may need a new bootloader. It's super easy: go to the bootloader tab and hit download, there's only one to choose from - when that's done try the firmware download again.

If there’s more than one you usually pick generic, unless one of the ones offered has your VESC hardware name in it. Note: “60” is the name of the Trampa 6 and all VESC 6 compatible clones…

This is a very common problem on new VESCs that don’t have the latest bootloader installed from the factory.

Firmware Uploads from an Android Phone

Uploading VIA PC Bridge across my android phone was giving me upload time outs at various points.

Copy the bin file you want to use to an android phone in the following path:

\Internal storage\Android\data\vedder.vesctool\files\Pictures
*i’m not sure if you can do this direct from the phone, the default file manager doesn’t support it browsing to this even with show system files enabled. i used a USB connection to my pc and copied it using windows explorer.

next from the firmware section in the vesctool app, swipe down one screen and you will get the option to chose the file to upload, when you browse it will take you direct to the folder you just copied the bin file too, select it, and then press upload. this worked on the first attempt for me.

3 Likes

I’ve messed this up a few times. Just to elaborate further:

1. backup settings - This backs up your motor/app configurations, not your firmware! If you’re feeling paranoid, save motor and app configs files to your computer in the pc app too (under top left files tab). This is in the case you can’t locate the backup files in your phone.

2. load firmware - make sure it is fully loaded and wait at least 10 seconds before operating the board. Check in bottom left corner of the pc app that you have the correct firmware.

3. restore - this will restore your motor/app configs. I always thought this was associated with firmware, but it’s not! If you make any additional mods to motor or app configs, make sure you WRITE for the associated motor or app category! On the far right side there are buttons A and M, and there is a write button for each one.

Hope this helps save some of you some confusion and/or headaches!

1 Like

backup files cannot be located - you just hit “restore” and the VESC app will find the backup on its own, but there is merit in having XML files with a name describing your “tune”/configuration.

Gotcha, just to confirm you should backup and restore both from the phone correct?

lol, does my original post mention the phone at all???

Phone backups are good if you’re out in the field making changes and playing with settings and fuck up your ride, then you use your phone to restore your settings.

When loading your firmware you should use your PC anyway, so you might as well backup and restore on the PC too… but in the end it doesn’t matter at all where you do your backup/restore from.

1 Like

I always use my phone for firmware upgrades. If you know where to find the correct .bin file on the phone there’s no problem at all to do it like that.

1. Backup
  2. Upload new Firmware
  3. Restore
1 Like

looks like it works on Android, but Apple doesn’t think you can handle .bin files haha

Uploading VIA PC Bridge across my android phone was giving me upload time outs at various points.

Copy the bin file you want to use to an android phone in the following path:

\Internal storage\Android\data\vedder.vesctool\files\Pictures
*i’m not sure if you can do this direct from the phone, the default file manager doesn’t support it browsing to this even with show system files enabled. i used a USB connection to my pc and copied it using windows explorer.

next from the firmware section in the vesctool app, swipe down one screen and you will get the option to chose the file to upload, when you browse it will take you direct to the folder you just copied the bin file too, select it, and then press upload. this worked on the first attempt for me.

1 Like

There is actually 3 options for the boot loader. Is there a particular one in which to use if you are not having success uploading a new fw?

You want generic - post updated

So here is where i het stuck. When i hit upload it says please select file. What am i doing wrong?

I assume you did choose the file before hitting the upload button. Is it the file shown on top of the screen? Are you using Android?

This is how it looks on my phone just before hitting the upload button after I navigated to the folder containing the firmware.bin