Float Package 2.0 Feature: Improved ATR Speed Ramping

TL;DR: You can now set ATR Speed Boost to negative values, allowing for strong ATR at low speed (great for tackling steep terrain) and mellow ATR at high speed (great for fast transitions at speed and racing)

Hey everyone! Just wanted to explain a small tweak made to ATR in the latest Float Package released a couple weeks ago that will allow serious riders to take more advantage of ATR without hindering performance at speed. Apologies for the long write-up, but I wanted to make sure those that are interested understand how they should take advantage of this feature.

Previously, the idea behind the Speed Boost parameter was that at higher speeds, more aggressive ATR may be needed for safe riding, especially for braking strength in downhill. And for those looking for the safest ride, I’d still recommend the default value of 30% or even higher. This increases ATR Strength as you approach a certain speed threshold (between 6000-9000 ERPM, depending on speed boost value).

However, as many of you know, ATR can actually be detrimental when it comes to certain scenarios at speed where you want to prioritize maintaining momentum, particularly in fast transitions. Overly aggressive ATR can result in things such as tail dragging at the top of table tops, or not being able to pull your nose up for downhill to flat transitions. Not a big deal for those willing to speed check when needed, but it can definitely be unwanted in high speed, racing-type scenarios. For this reason, many advanced riders prefer to reduce ATR Strength to avoid these setbacks.

Well now, we can get the best of both worlds! The accepted values for Speed Boost have now been expanded to allow for negative values, down to -100%. By combining this with strong ATR Strength, this gives you access to strong ATR at low speeds, allowing you to easily navigate steep uphills, maintain a safe slow speed on steep downhills, and even just pick up lost momentum on an uphill after an abrupt stop. As you speed up, ATR will gradually ramp down to whatever percent you configure (e.g. -80% Speed Boost will make ATR Strength 20% of its configured value at speed), allowing you to handle fast transitions without worry.

Please feel free to give it a shot! This should especially be beneficial for those who like to race trails, but still want to be able to tackle steep techy terrain without having to tweak settings or carry a remote around. Just set your ATR Strengths to your desired strength for low speed, and your Speed Boost to how much you’d like your ATR Strength to be scaled by at speed. At the moment, I’m personally using 1.6 Uphill, 0.8 Downhill, and -50% Speed Boost, meaning that at speed, my ATR Strength is reduced to 0.8 Uphill and 0.4 Downhill.

As of now, Speed Boost kicks in gradually as you go from 3000 ERPM to 6000 ERPM (or up to 9000 ERPM for Speed Boost of more than +/- 50%, with more aggressive speed boosts taking longer to take effect). This means for most standard size tires, ATR will ramp down gradually as you go from 6.5 mph to 13 mph. For now, this is not configurable and may be tweaked in the future with more testing if necessary, but so far it feels pretty solid. Feel free to try it out yourself and give feedback! Thanks everyone, and of course feel free to drop any questions below :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Thank you Nico for always providing such detailed information, especially for this update! ATR is still such a foreign area for me, but lately I have been doing Uphill Str 0.8, Downhill Str 0.4, Uphill angle 1°, and Downhill angle 1°. I’m not sure how well these values were set up, but they’ve worked for me. I wanted my board to respond faster and stronger uphill, as opposed to going downhill where those transitions to flat as you mentioned can get sketchy.

I’ll give your ATR settings a try and see what may be tweaked from there. Just downloaded the Float Package 2.0 today.

1 Like