Building a DIY Onewheel: Seeking Advice and Recommendations

Hello guys,

I am currently in the planning and research phase of assembling my own floatwheel and would greatly appreciate your expertise and guidance in this endeavor.

Here are some of my initial thoughts and considerations:

• Cannoncore vs. Superflux: While I am leaning towards the Cannoncore due to its purportedly lower heat generation (lower on the mosfets as i know). I am open to persuasion. I have some specific questions:

• How valid is the floatwheel.ru?
    • Has anyone had experience with the Cannoncore?
    • How does it handle 104v?
    • Would the Superflux MKII be a better choice for reliability in a 104v system?
  • Battery Choice: Samsung 50S: Considering the Samsung 50S for its 35A rating and 5000mAh capacity. LiFePo4 batteries lack the desired range. One of my sources that could assist you: Mooch’s recommendations and battery tests.

• Tronic 250r: for 24s

• Battery Management System (BMS): Currently in the research phase for selecting a high-quality BMS. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

• Footpad and Bumpers: Up: For 3rd party compatibility and reliability, i have opted for the Onewheel platform.
    the Floatwheel bumpers: I saw in a video that the bottom broke beside the screws and it’s not the most comfortable to carry either.
    Thanks for the tip to @surfdado.

Old: I plan to acquire front and rear footpads from Floatwheel. Maybe the bumpers too?

• Rails, Boxes, and Lids: Planning to fabricate these components at home, primarily using aluminum

I welcome any insights, experiences, or recommendations you may have regarding components, configurations, or any other aspect of this project.

My goals for this project are as follows:

1. Reliability: Prioritizing quality parts to ensure the longevity and dependability of the floatwheel.
  2. Cost-effectiveness: Building as much of the floatwheel myself to keep costs down.
  3. Range: Aiming for approximately a 30-35 km range.
  4. Battery Configuration: Initially considering a 20s2p setup, with potential for future expansion to 24s2p.
  5. Expandability: Designing for easy upgrades and modifications in the future.
  6. Quiet Operation: Striving for minimal noise wherever possible.

Thank you for your time!

1 Like

Why the focus on Floatwheel? You should target an XR Clone for easier availability of 3rd party parts. The whole appeal of floatwheel is that it doesn’t require true DIY. But it seems crazy to want to DIY a Floatwheel clone. You can get build a much better Onewheel if you stick to the XR platform

PS: I changed the title of your post

The main reason was that I could get a set of footpad for $100, while I couldn’t find any for Onewheel below $150. But you’re right, I actually prefer the Surestance Pro Fusion style anyway ;). Regarding the Floatwheel bumpers, I saw in a video that the bottom broke beside the screws and it’s not the most comfortable to carry either. Thanks for the tip.