Best tune for trail riding on standard 15s pack (no bms)

Got my vesc back together today and excited to try ATR and @surfdado fw! Have only tried stock 5.3 so far with Hannes tune card and have only really done an hour or so of trail testing. It’s hard to believe that was way back in June and my VESC has sat disassembled for 2.5 months. I know @MaddMax and @NicoAleman are both running 84V and are having success learning the shaping. I think Riley too (don’t know his handle on here). And I know @vescmann is crushing trails, I think with a standard pack? @vescmann have you tried both?

So my question is, do you all think it is possible to achieve similar performance (obviously slightly less torque/top speed) as the 84V experiences on a stock battery pack? Or do I need the 84V? I don’t need to go 31 atm :slight_smile: and would be fine with XR performance levels for now. If I can have fun on the trail comfortably up to low 20s and get to know the feel of the shaping, I would love to just get familiar with it. Hopefully I can help refine things as I get used to it. Thinking then I can upgrade to 84V later, probably in the spring. I don’t have time to train on both for racing right now so will not be using this for racing for the time being.

Does anyone have an xml or tune card optimized for trail riding on a standard 15s pack?

1 Like

From my understanding, the gains you get from higher voltage are really only present in higher speeds, where available duty cycle and torque really drop off the faster you go. I’m currently running with my battery current at 35A, which is about the same you can get out of a stock pack (30A), so the torque I’m getting should be similar to what you’d get out of a stock pack, it’ll just drop off quicker when you get into the 18+ mph range like an XR does (if I understand correctly, could very well be very wrong lol, take my word with a grain of salt).

My tune XML is actually manually edited so that it doesn’t override any personalized info like battery values, startup/fault/pushback values, etc, so as long as you backup just in case, you should be able to just load it up and ride no problem. The only thing I might change when running a lower voltage pack is potentially raising the duty cycle that Field Weakening kicks in, so that you can retain torque on trails for a bit longer before Field Weakening takes effect.

If you ever wanna try mine out and have any questions or need help with it at all, just lmk!

1 Like

Thanks @NicoAleman ! I will definitely try your tune and be in touch. Then we can compare at FLF.

1 Like

I totally agree with Nico despite ever tested Vesc on a stock battery. But I get similar performance with my CBSP just not that top speed I get with my 84V TORque pack. I will see the difference very soon as a lot of my freinds here convert to VESC and I will setup all their boards with different batteries but with the same tune. That will be interesting.

3 Likes

Hey Nico, I am new to Vesc and have the makerspev plug and play controller. I would like to try your settings if possible. I’ve been having issues with the nose dipping. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

You can find them here! Nico's Racing/Shredding Tune Card

1 Like

Hey Dave i feel like were avout the same weight and riding style with mixed trails.
Im running NON ATR, with Nicos tunes and works great except the nose dips found and lower cruising speeds over bumps. Wonderig what your experience has been and what ride settigns youre going with after FLF?

Hey @Midknight_Star , it seems there is something else going on with my build. I got some time with @NicoAleman at FLF and he started over with fresh firmware and his tune settings. It rides but he was not able to set some of the values to the same as his or the motor would growl and crunch. And with the settings as is it does not ride like Nico’s. I need to get with @makerspev to see if it could be an IMU/hardware issue next. I hope to report back with more feedback on the Nico’s tune soon and will let you know.

1 Like

also my focer is an early v3 (not 3.1) swapping for a 3.1 to see how that does

2 Likes

I’m also riding a 15s CBXR with charge only FM BMS. I’m about to try this new fw that just dropped and is supposed to sort the nose dipping issue:

2 Likes

i pushed the stock 15s XR battery hard this weekend on old v4 stable…amazing uphills and straight line speeds BUT low speed bumps and Fast uphill/downhill hits were not nice with the dips and aggressive braking/nose up. the downhills were the worse as it’d send me into a straight captain stance, drag tail on the rocks then shoot out under me. v6 supposedly fixes that. i’m also having issues with a super high nose vs level so i’m not sure how i’m to compesate for that as i’ve yet to find the right varialbe to adjust…i’m assuming thats in imu Z-axis compensation but we’ll see.

2 Likes

Just an update. Running stable V6, basically Nicos Tune cards with some slight adjustments for my wieght and more forward heavy stance:
In tune modifiers set variable tiltback to 0°/1000erpm
Also constant tiltback to 0°
Torque Tilt strenght to 0.20 or even less. Maybe 0.10 is enough

Rides amazing right now. Going to change soem field weakening values as well as suggested by @vescmann

If that rides well for trails, im not sure ATR20 will be worth my time until the new superflux and 84V battery come in.

Thanks again @NicoAleman @vescmann for the continued help and fast repsonses while i was tuning.

3 Likes