Roll and pitch are switched. Can't get the board to stabilize

I am loading up a new little focer 3.1. I completed the motor configuration and the IMU calibration. From this post Nico's Stable V6 Tune (with optional Full Configs!) I loaded the full configs from file: Little FOCer v3.1 (LSM6DS3 IMU)-20221226T191757Z-001.zip\Little FOCer v3.1 (LSM6DS3 IMU)\Stock (63V)\Nico App (63V - FOCerV3.1).xml.

Trying the board for the first time and the tire spins as soon as the footpad is engaged. I take a look at the RT data and see that at rest my roll is 22.5 and my pitch is around 1. I switch the roll and pitch startup settings and it starts but it is unstable. Did I miss a step where I have to switch the pitch and roll in the IMU?

Edit: put it level on the milk crate and it is definitely controlling to the roll of the board and not the pitch. Like when I tilt it side to side (not nose to tail) it will change motor direction.

If you’re just getting started, i highly recommend you run the newest firmware and the Float Package, rather than the Balance app and those configs, so you don’t have to worry about re-learning everything when you inevitably update in the future: How to Update to VESC FW 6 / VESC Tool 6

As for this issue, your IMU Rotation Yaw is incorrect, it needs to be offset by 90° from the current value. If youre running a Little FOCer v3.1 in a FlowGlider enclosure, IMU Rotation Yaw should be set to 90°. For more info on troubleshooting this, check out the part of my IMU Wizard guide where I cover exactly this, starting at 3:56

2 Likes

Thanks I must have missed that. Have been holding out on 6 until I got up and running but since you got all the guides up I might as well take the plunge. I really appreciate your effort. I’m so bad at firmware/software.

1 Like

It sounds like you’ve got the hard part out of the way fortunately. Motor setup is the same as before so no worries there. Just follow this IMU wizard guide to make sure thats all good, and back up your configs. Then download the firmware, restore configs, and install the Float Package :ok_hand:

1 Like

Sweet. I’m glad I asked because it seems I would have run into this problem anyway. I built a unique control enclosure and my focer is rotated 180 from flowglider. I used -90 yaw and it works great. Just tuned up the motor and it feels like a dream. Looking forward to the new features on 6.

1 Like