*OUTDATED* Nico's Racing/Shredding Tune Card

Wanted to share an update, using this tune led me to a 3rd Place finish in the Floatucky Trail Derby Finals, including having the fastest time of the day in Time Trials! Definitely stoked to bring it out to FloatLife Fest next month. Check out my runs here: Floatucky Trail Derby Finals | Onewheel VESC Racing (Raw Runs) - YouTube

2 Likes

I’ve had the MakersPEV box for a few days and this is the first setting I tried after the “default”, I really like it. I’m a city commuter, so almost all of my riding is surfing sidewalks that are in various states of disrepair at XR pushback speed. The box shipped without any LP filter configured, the filter in your settings does a good job of reducing the oscillation I felt on the deck.

I was getting a lot more leg fatigue than I expected, reducing P to 15 helped a ton… And since the nose was running lower I also gave it a 0.75° constant tilt back which still doesn’t raise it to level, but closer to where I want it usually.

Thank you for sharing!

What is your board setup with this tune, Nico? WTF rails and a lift kit?

Yes sir! Definitely need an extra clearance setup imo for hard racing with the current state of things. The nose drifting lower is still very real in my experience, but extra clearance and tuning to the specific trail can at least make it manageable to stay competitive enough. Running WTF Rails with a .4" lift from Crazy Hubs rn, with the IMU calibrated to ride symmetrically (like a Tilt Kit). Probably switching over to Varials as well before FLF since I’m betting FAF’s with a lift may be the move for Thunderdome.

2 Likes

Or maybe a set of Mustache Rails🤓

1 Like

Mustache Rails w/ Lift would be pretty baller for VESC for sure, the ~Brooks Classic~ :sunglasses:

1 Like

Im in the research phase of converting my XR to VESC soon and was curious about what the best are using for BMS configurations (FM rewired for charging only, Ennoid BMS-XLITE-24S tracing CBXR Battery cells to correctly wire the balance connector, No BMS, etc). Kyle Klausing mentioned that you smoked him in the recent race as he’s fixing my XR Battery harness that i accidentally pinched when installing the CBXR 1,430 miles ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated to mod my XR to become a VESC beast.

1 Like

I personally just use a CBCSO from ChiBatterySystems which has a built in BMS, but that was discontinued for now unfortunately. That said, this may be better served in a different thread about potential BMS configurations since it’s not really related to my tune and other people know much more about BMS’s and batteries than I do haha

3 Likes

@NicoAleman you using the surfdado ATR firmware in this link?
ATR Firmware / Configuration - VESC App Settings & Testing - pev.dev

Nah, I’m using the V4 firmware off SurfDado’s Github! So far I haven’t had the best luck with ATR personally, something about the firmware just makes it not ride how I’d prefer it from my testing. I’ll experiment more after the WinMan Enduro, but gotta commit to what works for the races for now.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out the main differences between ATR and the other surfdado fw. I’ll keep reading and searching. I’m sure I’ll find the answers I’m looking for somewhere.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the v20 ATR. Has your tune card changed since Mitch’s update?

Im still out of town, but ill be making an updated Tune Card later this week most likely for V6. It shouldn’t have too many differences just something a lot more basic since you no longer need to compensate for nose dipping.

After this weekend, I’ll be diving deep into ATR to find a tune that works well for me. Every time I’ve tried ATR, I’ve struggled to get a tune that feels equivalent to what I’m running in Stable. I’m sure its possible, just didn’t want to spend so much time experimenting with it during race season and messing with my muscle memory.

3 Likes

Thanks for your card.
I think I saw you have a WTF set up too?
What adjustments do you make to switch from FAF to wtf?

Heads up, this card is out of date as it does some things to compensate for the nose dipping that was previously an issue. I have a new one coming very soon thats much more bare bones. Going from FAF to WTF though, you just have to adjust your IMU Pitch (FOCer v3) or Roll (FOCer v3.1, because of changed IMU orientation) to match the rails. Easiest way is to just get it on a workbench where it can sit symetrically, seeing what the pitch angle is in RT Data, and adjustinv the IMU value accordingly to zero it out.

2 Likes

Look forward to your new card! Using Dados V6 I assume?

1 Like

Correct. I actually usually ride custom firmware with a few of my own personal tweaks off of Dado’s, but the Tune Card will be specifically for Dado’s V6.

1 Like

Thanks for the tune. Running this, with minor tweaks on 5.3.006. It is awesome! Great on the trails.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been slacking on putting out an updated tune haha, school has been wild and when I do it I want to do it right with some extra effort put into it for the XML files. In the meantime, I still recommend this tune, but without variable tiltback and maybe mellower Torque Tilt, like strength of 0.15 or so and a tilt speed of 3 degrees per second.

2 Likes