1) What is it
ATR stands for adaptive torque response, it replaces torque tiltback. The basic idea is that instead of just looking at amps to determine whether the setpoint needs to be adjusted, ATR compares expected acceleration to actual acceleration.
#1 Requirement is a working board with stable 5.3 v3+ firmware!!!
#2 Is your board having some isses and you’re hoping ATR will fix them??? You will be disappointed!
This only works with custom firmware, it’s not part of 5.3 stable. Here’s the firmware files for all 5.3 hardware (sorry, no Ubox 100V yet)
Note: “CAN bus” does work since v18
IMPORTANT: ATR sucks balls if you try it with V4 app configs, so read on...
3) How to load*The usual firmware loading procedure: Backup your config before loading firmware, select custom file, and DO NOT load the wrong firmware, LFOC v3.1 isn't the same as LFOC v3.0!!!*
PLEASE LOAD FROM PC ONLY!
Note: Windows Bluetooth will not work with VESCs, so you connect via your phone and create a TCP Bridge (checkbox on bottom of first page in app) - note the IP address of the phone (must be on same wifi as PC!!) - then in the PC choose TCP connection
4) How to configureAfter loading the firmware, make sure you load my XML file after restoring your own settings:
VEXR_ATR.xml (2.8 KB)
This file is hand-edited and safe to load, it won’t overwrite any of your personal settings like IMU calibration or fault/tiltback settings.
Configuration is done using the existing torque tiltback settings plus yaw_ki in the Multi ESC section. And it also uses the biquad filter values on the Tune page.
For all details see the table in this google sheet:
Would love to have this table right here, but how do I create a table without going full HTML?
How to test whether the firmware download was successful? The revision number (12, now it’ll be 18) is being reported in the RT data screen (the last one) instead of “Loop Time” when first starting up (it switches to actual loop time after you first engage the board)
I recommend to stop right here, try my ATR xml file first. Once it's all working smoothly you can consider moving to Max's settings
5) Release Notesv18 - 20-Sep-2022:
- CAN BMS current limiting permanently disabled
v17 - 6-Sep-2022:
- More stable battery percentage
- SimpleStart feature (think Badgersense SureStart), permanently enabled atm
v16 - 26-Aug-2022:
- Disable ATR (revert to plain torque tilt) by setting TT-Filer to 0Hz
- Improved hardware filtering for LFOCv3.1 (LSM6DS3 TR-C IMU)